Thursday, July 13, 2006

Music really does soothe the savage beast

Not too long ago I read an article about how music helps to ease chronic pain and depression and depressive episodes.

There was a study done on it and it proved it.

So I decided to test this theory myself.

Normally I prefer to sit in silence as I work on the computer or what have you, but for the last two weeks I have made sure to listen to music for at least an hour each day (this is what the test subjects in the research did) and ya know what? It's helped. I can't say that it has helped a *lot*, but it has helped.

I've been having situational depressive episodes a lot lately as we are going through some pretty rough shit in my family with my husband being very ill (neurologically) and myself in pain. The stressors of bills, money, getting the car fixed, etc., have really taken their toll on me. But thank God I finally have a med cocktail that has me, for the most part, stable. I couldn't handle everything if I were still stuck in that deep, dark depression that I spent two solid years in. I just came out of it this past April.

I got a call from the new GP that I hired after firing our old family doctor today. They ran a few blood tests on me. It was confirmed that along with everything else, I have rhemotoid arthritis in all of my joints. Joy, joy, another Dx to add to my list.

I didn't get to see the NP that I was supposed to see last week for my psych med check-up, therefore I didn't get the Adderal like I was supposed to. The NP I was supposed to see called in on my appointment day. Figures.

The pdoc I *did* see however was awesome. I really, really liked her and we clicked immediately. She's only been there for two weeks and told me that she knows she will be there for another two weeks but she isn't sure if she is going to stay there or not. I hope she stays. She would be a huge benefit to the clinic.

So anyway, she wanted me to come back next week to see the NP I was supposed to see. The receptionist told me I would need to call to see if they could squeeze me in. *sigh* I hate that clinic. They constantly screw up appointments, lose charts and so much more. I honestly don't know how they stay in business unless it's because there is nowhere else for us MI persons to turn to in my area. That has to be the only reason.

I missed my appointment with my tdoc the other day. I was bummed out that I missed it. I really wanted to talk to her and update her on what is happening in my life. There is just so much stress. I don't know what good it would do though. I really don't.

If I find the link to the article on the music deal, I'll add it here to my blog.

Thanks for reading.

Stormy

1 comment:

Twisted Cinderella said...

I do know that music does have a physical effect on me. I truly has the power to relax me and make me feel happy.